There are a few reasons you may want to keep a particular Instagram story from showing up in someone’s feed. Maybe it’s a surprise party you’re planning or a vacation you don’t want anyone to know about just yet. Regardless of the reason, there’s a way to hide a story from everyone and ensure that only one person on Instagram can see your story.
Why hide an Instagram story from everyone?
There are many reasons why you might want to keep your story hidden from everyone. In some cases, you may feel that your story is too personal or sensitive to share with others. In other cases, you may want to keep your story hidden in order to protect yourself or others from harm.
For example, you may have witnessed a crime and be afraid of retaliation from the perpetrator. Or, you may be struggling with a difficult situation at home or work and feel that it is best to keep the details private. Whatever the reason, there are many valid reasons why you might choose to keep your story hidden from everyone.
How do I hide my story from everyone on Instagram?
There are two methods that can be used to hide a story from everyone on Instagram. The first method is to hide the story from specific users by adding them to a hidden list. The second method is to use the close friend list feature to only allow close friends to view the story.
This post will explain both methods on the Instagram app on Android and iPhone.
Hide the story from everyone by adding everyone to the hidden list
Instagram lets you hide your story from everyone at once, instead of manually visiting the person’s profile and selecting “Hide your story”. This method can be done on Android and iPhone.
To do hide your story:
- Open the Instagram app.
- Tap the hamburger button.
- Head to Settings > Privacy > Story.
- Tap the number of people under Hide your story from. From there, you can tap all profiles to hide your story from the selected profiles.
- From now on, your Instagram story will only be hidden from those selected profiles.
To hide your story from everyone on Instagram on your iPhone:
- Go to the Instagram app.
- Select the hamburger button.
- Go to Settings > Privacy > Story.
- Select the number of the hidden list under Hide your story from. You can select all profiles to hide your story from them.
- Tap Done to save.
Hide the story from everyone except close friends
The close friend feature on Instagram is useful to share your story with only your closest friends on Instagram. This helps you hide the story from everyone else. You can use the feature to hide the story from everyone except close friends on Android and iPhone.
To do this on Android:
- Open Instagram.
- Select the hamburger button on your profile.
- Open Settings > Privacy > Story.
- Tap Close friends. Select profiles you want to add to the close friend list.
- When you create a story and you want to share it with close friends, simply tap Close friends instead of the arrow button to upload the story.
To do this on iPhone:
- Go to the Instagram app on your iPhone.
- Tap the hamburger button on your profile.
- Go to the Settings > Privacy > Story.
- Select Close friends.
- Tap profiles you want to insert to the close friend list.
- You can now select Close friends to share your story with close friends when creating an Instagram story.
What happens if I hide my story from someone on Instagram?
When you hide a story from someone on Instagram, it means that person will no longer be able to see your story. They will still be able to see your profile and the rest of your content, but your story will be hidden from them.
If you’re looking to share a story privately with one person on Instagram, there are a few steps you can follow to make sure it stays hidden from everyone else. By creating a close friends list and sharing your story with only that one person, you can be sure that your story will remain private.