Outlook is an easy-to-use email app, but one thing that confuses some people is removing email accounts. Here’s how to delete an email account from Outlook 2019, Windows 11/10 app, Android app, and iPhone app pretty easily.
Outlook is a cross-platform app that is available both on desktop and mobile. It certainly has different methods for users to delete their email accounts from the app and stop syncing or receiving incoming emails.
Removing an email account from Outlook doesn’t remove the account itself. You will still keep the account and be able to log into another email app like the Gmail app on Android, the Mail app on iPhone, Mozilla Thunderbird, and more. Or, you may want to add another email account to Outlook because you added the wrong one.
The things that will also be removed when removing an email account are a calendar associated with the account, the cache, and other locally stored data on your computer, Android, or iPhone device. But you will keep the calendar as long you sync it before the removal process.
You can do this in Microsoft Outlook 2019 (and older versions like Outlook 2016, Outlook 2013), Mail app on Windows 11/10, Outlook on Android, and Outlook on iPhone. If you use Outlook 2010 and are even older like Outlook 2007, you may need to use another method.
How to Delete Email Account from Outlook Android & iPhone App
Outlook on Android and iPhone apps almost works the same way as the Mail app on Windows 11/10. This removal method can be easily done in the app.
- Just open the Outlook app on your phone.
- Then, tap the hamburger button to show a menu.
- This menu is nice to look at, and you can tap the gear icon at the bottom to open the Settings page. Then, tap which account you would like to delete.
- This Account info page contains all the settings you can manage about the associated email account. You either reset or delete the email account from the Outlook app. If you have a problem with the account, you can simply reset it. If you just want to delete, just tap Delete Account.
- You will be prompted with a message asking whether you want to delete the email account from this device’s Outlook app, or to delete it from all mobile devices’ Outlook app (may include the Outlook on iPhone app).
- Once you choose an option, you can tap Delete to continue.
You will see the “Removing your account” message. Once the removal process is done, you will see that the email account you have deleted is no longer exist on the Outlook app.
How to Remove Email Account from Outlook 2019, Outlook 2016, Outlook 2013, and Outlook on Mac
Outlook is included in the Office package and it is also available on Mac. Both the operating system’s version of Outlook provides almost the same method to remove the email account. It is probably a little complicated, though, it is can be done in just 5 minutes.
- Let’s open your Outlook 2019 app, then click the File tab to open the menu.
- Now tap the Info tab which contains all information about your email accounts. This includes the one you want to delete from Outlook 2019. Click Account Settings then the same drop-down button at the bottom of it.
- You will see a dialog box containing your email accounts signed in Outlook 2019. You can manage everything including the data or RSS feeds. To delete, you can simply choose which email account and then click the Remove button at the top.
- If you delete the only email account, you may see this message: “Before deleting the email account containing your personal mail, contacts, and calendar data, you must create a new location for your data”. Some people can’t delete their email accounts in Outlook because of this. To solve, simply click OK.
- Now, move to the Data Files tab. Click Add.
- You will see a new dialog box. Choose which location you want to save the data. Once done, you will see the Outlook data file here. Now you can go back to the Email tab.
- Now, tap which email account and then click the Remove tab.
- You will see a message: “Careful, if you remove this account, its offline cached content will be deleted”. Click Yes.
- Once the removal is done, you will see that the email account is now gone.
How to Remove an Email Account in Mail App on Windows 11/10
The Mail app on Windows 11/10 is actually an Outlook app that is made as a UWP app. It is a light email app that works better every time it gets updated from Microsoft Store.
This Mail app syncs your calendar too, so make sure you have synced everything to the email account you want to delete.
Now simply click the gear icon.
Click Manage accounts.
Click which email account you want to remove from Windows 11/10’s Mail app.
Simply click Delete account from this device.
Click Delete to finally remove the email account.
Once done, click Done.
Can’t Delete Email Account in Mail App?
Some people experience that they can’t delete an email account in the Mail app because that’s just the only email account that exists in the app.
If you can’t delete the email account, you can stop syncing the account so your internet data won’t be wasted checking for incoming emails associated with the account.
To solve this, simply to go Manage accounts. Choose which email.
Then, simply click Change mailbox sync settings.
Now, turn off the Email toggle button to stop syncing. Click Done.
Outlook has a nice-looking interface, and it certainly is one of the best email apps out there. If you accidentally added the wrong email account, you can delete it pretty easily.