Instagram has a unique story feature that is related to other Instagram features. If you’re new to Instagram, you might be wondering about creating and deleting stories. This article will show you how to delete an Instagram story, covering everything about removing a story on Instagram (Android, iPhone, & PC).
Instagram story is a feature that allows you to share what you’re doing in the last 24 hours. You can share a story as a highlight, archive it, or even download someone’s story.
Instagram also provides you with a way to delete the story. If you have shared the story to highlight, you can also remove it or hide it, as well as archived stories.
If you have a problem while uploading a story (it gets stuck), you can also delete it right away. If you want to remove the story while it is being uploaded, you can, too.
This tutorial covers everything about removing Instagram stories.
RELATED POST: How to Remove Instagram Follower
- 1 How do I delete an Instagram story on Android and iPhone?
- 2 How do I delete an Instagram story while posting/uploading?
- 3 How do I delete an Instagram story that won’t post/set stuck?
- 4 How do I delete an Instagram story from highlight?
- 5 How do I remove an archived story on Instagram?
- 6 How do I delete an Instagram story from my PC?
How do I delete an Instagram story on Android and iPhone?
Instagram provides this simple method to delete a story, specifically the story you’ve uploaded for the last 24 hours which you can access by clicking your profile picture. The red border on your profile picture means there’s a story being published.
- Open your Instagram app.
- Login to your account.
- Go to your profile and click your profile picture.
- While the story is opened, tap More to open up delete options.
- Now, to delete an Instagram story, just tap Delete. Instagram will ask for confirmation, just tap Delete again.
That’s it. Removing Instagram stories is easy, right?
But this only removes the story that has been successfully uploaded. How about the story that is uploaded?
RELATED POST: How to Add Location to Instagram Bio
How do I delete an Instagram story while posting/uploading?
To delete an Instagram story while posting or uploading, you can either wait for the upload to be done or disable mobile data or WiFi. Once the story is posted, you can then delete it from your story. If it doesn’t work, try clearing the Instagram cache.
This post will explain to you the detailed steps:
Method 1: waiting for the upload to be done
Instagram doesn’t provide a feature to delete a story while posting, but you can wait for it to be uploaded and delete it as soon as possible. You have to do it very quickly otherwise someone might see it before you tap the Delete button.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open the story you just uploaded.
- Tap More.
- Tap Delete.
- Instagram will ask you for confirmation. Just tap Delete.
Method 2: disable mobile data or wifi to delete Instagram atory
This is the method you probably think is better than the first one. This method requires you to disable mobile data or WiFi to make the upload process of your story on Instagram fail and then once it fails, it provides a cancel button that can delete the story before it is successfully being uploaded.
To do this:
- Swipe down from the top of your screen to open up the notification center.
- Tap Mobile Data or Wi-Fi to disable them.
- You can just turn on Airplane mode to disable the internet connection on your phone.
- Once the internet connection is off, you will see a red border on your Instagram profile picture.
- When you tap it, you will see Couldn’t upload. Try again message. That means the upload process is failed and now you can cancel or delete that Instagram story.
- To do it, just tap the kebab button at the bottom.
- Tap Delete.
- Tap Delete again to confirm.
- Instagram will then remove that story, and your privacy will be saved.
But, that only deletes the story that is uploading. How about the story that gets stuck or won’t post?
RELATED POST: How to Delete Drafts on Instagram
How do I delete an Instagram story that won’t post/set stuck?
To delete an Instagram story that won’t post or is stuck, clear the app’s cache. This can be done by going to your device’s Settings app, tapping on “Apps,” finding Instagram in the list, and tapping on “Clear Cache.”
To do this:
- Just open your Settings app.
- Scroll down a little bit, and tap Manage apps.
- Now, just search for instagram. Tap the app.
- At the bottom, tap Clear data. Tap Clear cache to finally delete an Instagram story that won’t post.
But, this method will remove the entire cache that is related to your Instagram activity, including deleting a story that gets stuck while uploading. This means Instagram will work with a fresh state but you don’t need to sign in again.
How do I delete an Instagram story from highlight?
A highlight is one of the most popular Instagram features that shows your story forever to everyone. A story normally lasts 24 hours, but you can make it last forever or as long as you want by making it highlight.
But, you might find you’ve made a lot of highlights that you want to delete of them. Here’s how.
To delete an Instagram highlight:
- Just go to your profile.
- Tap the highlight.
- Tap More at the bottom.
- Now, tap Remove from Highlight to delete that story.
- Tap Remove photo to confirm.
- That’s it. Instagram has removed the story from a highlight.
But, sometimes you archive a lot of things including a story. If you want to unarchive on Instagram, especially the stories, here’s how.
RELATED POST: How to Post a Longer Video on Instagram
How do I remove an archived story on Instagram?
Archived stories on Instagram are automatically created the 24 hours last — only if you enable the feature, though. But, if you have archived a lot of stories on Instagram, you can delete them with this method:
- Go to your profile.
- Tap the hamburger button at the top.
- Tap Archive.
- Now tap Stories Archive at the drop-down menu, and your archived stories will appear.
- Tap the story you want to delete.
- Tap More.
- Tap Delete to remove your Instagram story from the archive list.
- When get asked, “Delete this Photo?”, just tap Delete.
How do I delete an Instagram story from my PC?
If you don’t have time using your phone but there’s an Instagram story that is accidentally uploaded and you want to delete it as soon as possible while working in front of your computer, you can delete that very easily:
- Just open the Instagram website and log in to your account.
- Click your profile picture.
- The story will appear.
- Now, to delete the story, tap the meatball button at the top, and tap Delete.
Instagram offers different methods for deleting stories, depending on your needs. For example, you can delete a story directly from the story itself. If you want to prevent a story from being uploaded, you can turn off your mobile data or Wi-Fi, then cancel the story.
You can also delete a story from your PC.
RELATED POST: How to Post Picture on Instagram PC
Dony Prasetiyo has been writing on monkeymanifesto.com for about two years, intended to help solve computer and smartphone problems with easy-to-understand blog posts. He has written over 480 blog posts about Windows, Office, Android, and more.