However, some users may not know how to delete messages on Instagram. There are two different options that let you delete messages: unsending the message (which deletes the message from both sides) or permanently deleting the message.
You can delete Instagram chats from both sides. The message will be gone from both your DM and the other person’s DM. However, once the other person is online, they may be able to see that you’ve sent a message and then deleted it.
Here’s how it works:
Table of Contents
How deleting messages works on Instagram
There are two methods of deleting messages on Instagram: unsending messages and permanently deleting messages. Unsending a message works by deleting the message from both sides so there’s a chance that someone you’re sending a message can’t see the message you have deleted.
However, if the other person has read the message, or is online on Instagram opening the conversation while you’re deleting the message, that other person will still know the message you send even after you delete it.
That means if you want to delete a message from both sides on an Instagram direct message while protecting more of your privacy, you have to do it when the person hasn’t read the message and at the time when the other person isn’t potentially online.
Another method of message deletion on Instagram is permanently deleting messages, which works by deleting the messages only from your DM, and the other users can still see the messages you have deleted. This means your messages only get deleted from your side.
If you accidentally sent a message and you want to delete just that one and not the entire conversation, you can unsend the message instead. This also works if you have sent an unwanted reply to a specific message.
Can the other person still see messages that I have deleted?
Generally, the other person will still be able to see that you have deleted or unsend messages that you have sent, but they won’t be able to know the content of the messages. If they’re online on the DM while you delete them, chances are they know what message you have just deleted.
Another way for the other person to figure out what messages you have deleted is by seeing their DM notification. When they get the notification that you’re sending a message, they can read the message from the notification. But, when you delete/unsend it, the notification will change to “This message has been unsent”.
In conclusion, just feel free to unsend whenever you want to delete the messages so there won’t be any uncomfortable conversation in the future resulting from being indecisive on whether you have to delete the message or not.
The better advice is this: just delete it as fast as possible.
How to delete Instagram messages from both sides
If you want to delete a message on Instagram, you can do so by long-tapping on the message and choosing the Unsend message option. This will delete the message from both sides.
Here are the detailed steps, and you can apply them to Instagram on Android and iPhone:
- Open your Instagram app.
- Login to your account.
- Tap the DM button at the top.
- Open the conversation where you want to delete the Instagram message.
- Now, long-tap the message you want to delete/unsend. You will get options: Unsend, Reply, and more.
- Choose Unsend to delete the message from both sides.
- Instagram will then show you a confirmation message box. Tap Unsend to confirm the deletion of the message.
- You will see a message pops up saying “Message unsent”. That means the message has been deleted from both sides.
- The deletion will be permanent and you can’t recover the message or undo the unsending process on Instagram. The message will then be gone automatically.
ALSO READ: How to Unlink Instagram from Facebook
Delete all messages on Instagram at once
To delete all Instagram messages at once, you will first need to long-tap any chat you want to delete. After doing so, a confirmation message will appear asking if you wish to delete the conversation. Tap Delete to confirm and the messages will be deleted.
Keep in mind that you can’t recover it or undo the deletion process.
Here are the detailed steps:
- Open your Instagram app.
- Log into your account.
- Tap the DM button at the top. Your DM will then appear.
- Long-tap any chat you want to delete.
- Then, you have some options: Delete, Mute Messages, and a few other options. To delete Instagram messages all at once for one conversation, just tap Delete.
- Instagram will ask for confirmation. Tap Delete to confirm.
How to unsend messages and delete chats on Instagram PC (web)
If you want to unsend a message on Instagram PC, just click the meatball menu button at the message you want to unsend. Click Unsend to delete the Instagram message from both sides. Or, click on the Delete Chat button at the bottom to delete the entire chat.
To delete Instagram messages on PC from both sides:
- Open the Instagram website.
- Login to your account.
- Then, click the DM button at the top.
- To unsend a message, just click the meatball menu button at the message you want to unsend.
- Click Unsend to delete the Instagram message from both sides.
- Now, Instagram will ask for confirmation. Click Unsend to confirm the deletion.
- The message is now gone and has been deleted.
Here’s how to delete the entire chat on Instagram on PC (web):
- Open the DM and the chat you want to remove.
- Tap the information icon button on the right side of the username to which person you talk to.
- Now, click Delete chat which is located at the bottom.
- Now, click Delete to confirm the deletion of the chat on Instagram PC.
Instagram has some features that let you delete messages faster. You can delete messages from both sides (you and the one you talk to), or just delete the chat which will remove all messages inside that chat/conversation. You can do this on Android or iPhone, Mac, and Windows 11 with a browser.
ALSO READ: How to Unarchive on Instagram